In five Work Packages, the FunComPath consortium will dissect the mechanisms which cause the commensalism-to-pathogenicity (“compath”) shift, the role of the microbiota in preventing pathogenicity, and the protective potential of probiotics.
Our aims are to:
- identify and characterize molecular mechanisms associated with colonization and the “compath” shift of C. albicans
- investigate the role of metabolism during the “compath” shift
- assess the protective potential of probiotic bacteria and yeasts to prevent or reverse pathogenesis
- investigate how albicans regulates its own mode of commensal growth
- identify novel prophylactic or therapeutic options to avoid or treat Candida infections and biomarkers for novel diagnostic approaches.
The role of the host response will be investigated with collaboration partners.